Minggu, 13 November 2011

Independent coffee shops, the impossible dream?

Hi!
For my dear friends who have been a part of my wild crazy ideas lately, you must know very well what the term coffee shop signifies to me. A dream. Something that I absolutely, truly, dearly wanted to own! It didn't take to long for me to put my two feet back down to earth. Owning an independent coffee shop is one of the riskiest businesses today. The competition is just to strong. Sadly, here in Montreal we seriously lack original concepts. Unique and artistic cafés that also have an atmosphere to offer. However, I understand why that is the case. Many fail due to their "overly cozy" nature, people spend two dollars on a coffee and can spend hours in the shop. That is fine for big chains, but for a starting business it is unfortunately a sure fired downfall. It is all about sales. Alas, I put that dream on pause for now, and started blogging.... Because hey, if you can't own a coffee shop, you can at least own a blog that rants about them :P

Beautiful still form Hyer Images.
I'm discovering such beautiful blogs ever since I started this whole experience. The photo right above is from Annaleenas Hem, stop by if you can, stunning content and lots of talent. One of the reasons I adored the idea of having my own shop, is because of the many possibilities it creates to expose unique art. Some of the most stunning pieces of art I've seen so far happened to be displayed in cafés.  I recently discovered an artists who's works are just mind blowing. Shayna Leib, a sculptural glass artist that truly explores all the beauty this amorphous solid material has to offer. I'd love to have her pieces in my own home!